Munnar-Fairytale begins



They said Munnar is beautiful and I felt that no big deal, it must be like any other hill stations which has tea plantations to add to its beauty. So, what’s new? I didn’t expect that I will fall in love with its fairytale like landscape with mist floating all around and everything covered in mystery to be unraveled.  It was not so much of adrenalin of excitement which soared within me when I saw Munnar for the first time. Seeing it was more like the yearning you get after you have found someone so attractive that you can’t stay away from. 

My trip to Munnar started from Cochin on a rainy September day. I was afraid that things might not work out again as on my last trip to Kerala I had missed seeing Munnar due to heavy rains. The first 1 hour were just to get out of Cochin to and the northern area out of Cochin where you find very big and flashy houses built from Gulf money. Each house better looking than other and one wonders why people build such big houses and stay all life in gulf countries but there is no doubt that these houses are magnificent and give the area a posh look.

Further the road is narrow and curvy but interesting enough for you to keep your book down and revel in the nature. You will encounter many waterfalls along the way and this is enough to refresh you and take some quick photos. There are many roadside shops offering local fried savories which taste heavenly with the cardamom tea. Although I did not visit Kodanad Elephant Training Centre which is just 45 kms from Cochin on the way to Munnar but for those who are interested in wildlife and eco tourism this is another spot to stop and enjoy the nature. One can watch the elephants bathing and play with them under supervision of mahouts.

After five hours journey of breathtaking and verdant Western Ghat mountain ranges sprawled with tea and spice gardens, revitalizing waterfalls and charming little churches and villages I reached Munnar. Munnar has many options to stay. At the heart of Munnar is Kerala Tourism Development Corporation’s ‘The Tea County Resort’. One usually associates government run facilities with sub standard product and services. However, this one amazes you with excellent food and very thoughtfully furnished cottages. It has the only heated swimming pool in the area. I had lunch there and felt that KTDC has done a good job and is giving good run for their money to all privately owned resorts. There are many resorts which will give you a feel of staying in the Jungle amongst the tall trees and some of them provide breathtaking view of the valley and lush green mountains. It is always better to ask about the view from your room before booking. Imagine getting up in the morning to be greeted by lush green mountains floating in the mist. It gives you a feeling of being in the fairytale.

A visit to a tea plantation was quite an obvious thing to do in Munnar. I visited Tata Tea Museum which is located at the Nallathanni estate and is just 2 kms away from main market. It displays the history and evolution of tea plantations in Munnar. The whole process of growing the plant to processing the tea in an automated tea factory is showcased here. A 20 min documentary is shown on the development of tea plantation in the area and how different companies contributed to the community development and preservation of ecological balance in relation to the tea production. A refreshing cup of cardamom tea is free along with the tour. One can buy various types of tea from the Sales outlet of the museum.

Most resorts in Munnar offer trekking/walking in the tea or cardamom plantations, however, I decided to get up early and reach Eravikulam National Park which is just 45 minutes drive from Munnar. Since I got quite early to the ticket window I could get the ticket without the usual long queue. This national park is famous for Nilgiri Thar- an endangered species of mountain goats. The walk in the park has some very mesmerizing views. I was not fortunate enough to see neelakurinji flowers that bloom once in twelve years and would be blooming in 2018 again but that didn’t dampen my spirit and the walk itself was invigorating.

My next visit was to Mattupetty Dam. It is around 13 kms from Munnar and a popular picnic spot. Little scared of the deep lake I was initially reluctant to go on a boat ride on the Mattupetty Lake which is spread over 8 kms. However, as they say ‘dar ke aage jeet hai’ I did go for boating in the lake and soaked in the scenic treat spread all around me.

Since I wanted to cover Echo point that day itself I reluctantly said bye to the lake and headed for Echo point. It is another visual treat. The voice echoes there and hence the name. I wish people did not scream so much but then that’s the fun part for whoever goes there. I was not with kids but I am sure kids would love this place.

My visit to Munnar was short, There are many other places to see in Munnar for people who want to trek it is paradise. I was soooooo reluctant to leave but had to say goodbye to my fairyland. I have promised Munnar that I shall be back for few more days. Munnar is enchanting and enticed I was with its serene splendor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOLDEN TRIANGLE (DELHI AGRA JAIPUR): LOVE, LURE AND LEGEND

Gratitude: Antidote of Despair

Stereotypes