Dhaka University Impressions

This is my third trip to Dhaka. The first two were short and hectic but this time I have plenty of time and hence this post. At first glance everything seems so gloomy. Political situation is not what it should be. The security situation is worsening. I see intolerance and distrust. The social situation at first glace is even worse than it is in Nepal. Human rights situation is bad and so is gender parity. The environment is in real bad shape and so is general health of people. However when I visited Dhaka University I immediately was filled with hope. Here was the youth full of hope and dreams. 

The university was established in 1921 and Curzon Hall is one of the attraction of this building. However, the impressive architecture is not what made me feel good but the general atmosphere of the university. 

Here was a normal university scene like it would have been in Delhi or in any other university in any part of the world for that matter.I could see male and female students chatting and studying together. Like everywhere else in Dhaka I had expected only a few female students and hoards of impudent male students but the scenario was very different from what I had expected. I could feel that here you were just a student and your gender didn't really matter. I could see couples everywhere, enjoying freedom and youth. 

No wonder this university has played a vital role in the region's politics. The graduates from this university have been weavers of social and cultural fabric of Bangladesh. These bright students are definitely the future of Dhaka. The young population of Bangladesh thinks that with right policies Bangladesh soon would be a hub in South Asia and they are absolutely right in thinking so. Bangladesh does have a potential to to play a more important role in the region. Its just a matter of steering this young energy to the right direction.

I felt light and hopeful just being there. I wish these young students all the very best for their future dreams and for their efforts in nation building. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude: Antidote of Despair

GOLDEN TRIANGLE (DELHI AGRA JAIPUR): LOVE, LURE AND LEGEND

Balancing Act